Finding the reliable, safest and affordable bug spray can be the challenging task. The situation becomes more daunting when you are looking for the bug spray for your little ones.
No mom wants to expose her little angle to any potentially toxic or harmful chemicals. Do you want it? Well never!
If you are looking for the bug spray that is 100% organic, natural, DEET free and safest, then you come to the right place.
In this ultimate guide, we go through everything that you need to know to get the safest bug spray for your baby.
Continue Reading to learn more about it!
How Can You Prevent Your Baby From Bug Bites?
Are you going for any outdoor events like for the family picnic, hiking, or to the park trip? Beat the Pesky bugs and assure this thing that your kids remain safe from the bug bites.
Here we will explore you that what to avoid and what to look while choosing bug spray for your kids and will tell you how you can apply spray or lotion for getting best results.
Aspects of DEET
American Academy of Pediatrics stated that bug repellents contain DEET which is safe for kids who are two years old or more.
Different bug sprays come in the varying amount of DEET. Some bug spray contains the amount of DEET up to 30%.
If the bug spray has a very higher concentration of DEET, It does not mean that that bug spray is very stronger, it means that it will have a very long-lasting effect.
Aspects of Picaridin
Picardin is another ingredient present in some bug spray. It is an odourless ingredient that is comparatively a new product ingredients in the United States, but in Europe, it has been using for more than ten years.
It almost has the same properties such as DEET; it provides the long-lasting effect against the bugs.
Products that have the Picaridin ingredients it can use on the babies, which are at least two months old.
Aspects about Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus
If you decide to go for the natural ways, then there are many ingredients available that make an effective bug spray.
Oil of eucalyptus is one of the active natural ingredients. It extracted from the gum eucalyptus tree, and it can offer the protection to your kids up to 7 hours.
Everything You Need To Know About Natural Bug Spray
No doubt, to use such spray which has a lower concentration of DEET is safe to use.
But still, there are most of the parents who prefer to use bug spray for their kids, which is DEET free.
Natural bug spray made with the plant oils such as lemongrass, citronella, cedarwood and peppermint.
But there is a disadvantage of using natural bug spray that it needs to be reapplied often instead of other products which have DEET.
You can try the natural bug spray but read all the instructions must focus on the products that it is safe to use on the children.
Products that have the oil of lemon eucalyptus are not suitable to use on children who are under three years old.
As we told above, Natural bug spray is not has a long-lasting effect as compared to chemical repellents.
You need to be reapplied natural bug spray on your kids after every 20 minutes, while another chemical spray can last for a couple of hours.
But yes, whether it is natural spray or another spray, it’s all will help you to protect your child against ticks and mosquitoes.
How can You Protect Your Kids from Bug Bites Naturally?
Bug spray is one of the ways through which you can prevent your kids from bug bites.
But there are many other natural ways available too that you can use to avoid the pesky bugs. Always wear shoes and socks while going outdoors instead of wearing sandals.
Never go to outdoors in the morning and at dusk while bugs are at worst. Don’t use fragranced lotions on your kids, which can attract the insects.
Tips and Trick to Get the Best Baby Bug Spray
Here are some tips and tricks that you should keep in mind while you are looking for a bug spray for your baby.
- Look for such bug spray which has a long-lasting effect. Don’t buy such spray that you have to reapply after each hour
- Look for the baby spray whose smell is tolerable. Never purchase such bug spray whose smells awful.
- If your baby is under two months, then prefer to use the organic spray always for your little one’s delicate skin
- Look for such spray that has a shallow concentration of DEET, do not use such products which have more than 30% concentration of DEET.
- Please read more blog Tiny Mom
When can you start putting bug spray on your little ones?
According to the US Environmental Protection Agency and Centers for Disease Control, you can use the repellent spray for your baby when he/she is two months old.
You can start by the bug spray which is EPA-registered and contain IR3535, DEET, 2-undecanoate, or Picaridin ingredients.
And if your children are three years old or more, then you can also use the products that have the oil of lemon eucalyptus.
American Academy of the Pediatrics suggests not to use the products that have the DEET concentration of more than 30 %.
Bug repellent is an excellent way to apply on your baby skin to protect it from all bugs. Apply it on your baby skin when you are going outdoors.
0-2 Months: Try not to use any product between 0-2 months of age. In this period, try to wear to your baby lightweight, long sleeves to prevent from mosquito bite when you are going outdoors.
Or if you want to use bug spray, use only organic products.
2 Months – 2 Years: when your baby are between 2 months to 2 years then you can use the commercially made products that have a meagre amount of Picaridin or DEET content, or you can use the Natural products.
What to DO and What Not to Do While applying Baby Bug Spray
Here are some top tips from the Centers for Disease Control on what to do and what not to do while using baby bug spray
Things to do
- Always keep your kids skin covered in the lightweight clothing.
- Always consider using the mosquito net on your infant carrier
- Always choose the bug repellent that approved for use on kids and always follow the directions given on the pack of spray.
- Always rub the spray on your hand before applying it on your baby skin. Otherwise, it will go into the air where you both are taking breathe.
- Always do the bug spray in the open areas, and then quickly move away from that place. It will help you to avoid inhaling products.
- Always wash the bug spray clothes when you come back from inside.
- Apply the spray only to the exposed part of your baby skin. Don’t apply it on the skin under clothes.
- Reapply spray according to the label instruction
- If you found any rash on your baby skin while applying bug spray, wash it off immediately and call your kids doctor for further guidance. Always keep the container in your hand so you can provide the label information.
Things not to do
- Never use fragranced products such as the lotions or perfume that can attract biting insects.
- Never use the bug repellent on your baby who is under two months
- Never apply the bug spray near the mouth and eyes of your baby
- Never store the products near to your kids reach. Make sure to wash your hand first when you want to apply it on your baby skin
- Never use such a product that is both bug spray and sunscreen, because sunscreen should always need to reapply regularly.
- Avoid skin and cut irritations, never put the bug close to your child mouth or eyes. Use it sparingly near the ears.
- Never allow your child to handle the container while you are applying the spray, because the baby may take it into his mouth.
- Never spray near to food or enclosed areas. Avoid breathing there.
So, which type of Bug Spray is safe to use on Kids?
Bug spray that has up to the 30% DEET ingredients are safe to use when your child becomes two months old.
American Academy of Pediatrics says that never use bug spray on your baby who is not yet two months old.
By the Centers for Disease Control and the Environmental Agency EPA-registered products that have DEET, picaridin, IR2525, and two undecanoates are recommended for children who are of 2 months and older.
AAP suggested that products which contain DEET concentration more than 30 or less can be used on kids who are of 2 months age or older.
The CDC suggested using oil of lemon eucalyptus for the kids who are younger than the three years.
How Can You Know which of the bug spray is most effective?
When you use any products, always read its labels mentioned on the product carefully because protection varies from product to product.
Repellency Awareness Graphic will show you which of the bug spray is effective against which product, and it will work for how long?
Products have graphic awareness on its label if they are adequate to prove to the United States Environmental Agency about its effectiveness.
So take a look on it, that the bug spray has it or not.
The second important thing to remember, never thing if the product has a lower concentration of active ingredients it means that it is less effective than other products.
It means that this product will not keep the bugs away for an extended period; you have to reapply it after some time.
Such as if the product has 10 % DEET quantity that it will remain active till two hours, while the products which have 24% concentration it will keep the bug away from your kids for five hours.
DEET ingredients have the maximum duration to keep the bug away at its 30% concentration.
So, no need to exceed the DEET level of more than 30 %. Always use the minimum amount of concentration according to the amount of time that you need protection.
EPA has the search tool that you can use to find the best bug repellent for your little darling protection against mosquitoes. Keep in mind to enter the amount of time in which you will need protection.
Are you planning to travel outside of your country? Should you concerned about the bugs?
In many countries, flies, mosquito, insects, fleas carry severe diseases like yellow fever and malaria.
While you are planning to travel, ask your kids doctor three months before there is any need for medications prescriptions to avoid these diseases.
If you are planning to travel to a part of the world where outbreaks of some mosquito illness happening like dengue fever, Zika and chikungunya then learn about these viruses that can harm your child severely.
There is another way to visit the centre for disease prevention and control travel website to get information about the place where you are planning to go that it has any insect outbreaks, vaccine recommendation, or health alerts or not.
That all, that we feel you need to know in getting the safest. Hope, so you find this ultimate guide helpful.
Now it’s your turn to decide which bug spray are the best suits for your family next holiday, an outing in the beautiful outdoor or for a BBQ party.
Whether you are going for a camping, for the fishing trip or to the peaceful lakeside, baby bug sprays are one of the most important things that you need to pack first.
So, what type of bug spray you are going to use for your baby? Let us know by comment below!